Thursday, March 3, 2011

Working - the good and bad

Well my darling husband is now fully employed again! It is such a relief.

The next couple of weeks, until he receives his first pay cheque will be difficult, but after that it will much less stressful.

It's not too far from home, but the bus schedule is a little off in that area, so he ends up having to leave the house at 7:00am and gets to work just after 8:00am when he starts at 8:30am. Oh well, I guess it is time for him to eat his breakfast.

It also is only an average paying job, we were hoping (way back in November), for a new job that paid better than his old one, but at this point we are not going to be picky.

If only I could find a better job. I had yet another stupid disagreement with my boss, and all because I was doing what my manager here in Calgary had asked of me based on the information provided. We need to communicate better as a team. We also need to write proper notes in our database - and also READ the notes that are there. Why would you continue to contact a client if someone else already has? Urgh. I just really hate feeling like I did something wrong, when I am really only 10% to blame. The rest of the issue belongs to my manager, the other person working on the same account in Edmonton, and our VP of sales.

I do not get paid enough to put up with this crap.

But when would I have time to find and interview for another job? And if I do manage to get over those hurdles, what about the whole plan to get pregnant? I would lose out on maternity benefits if I started a new job, and then left on leave before a year.

I just want to have a baby and then find another job. Sounds so easy when you write it like that. Sigh.

1 comment:

  1. That's terrific news about Rob's job! It's too bad about the bus schedule, but that's how it goes. I'm convinced that the people who make up those schedules have never actually had to rely on public transportation themselves.

    Regarding your job and the lack of communication... yeah, that sucks. Seems to be a common thing in all workplaces, unfortunately. Regardless of where I've worked, I've always left at the end of the day going, "Boy, things would be so much better if I was in charge.... or if I worked alone and didn't have to deal with anyone else." Haha, yeah, office politics bite.

    Having said that, though, life is way too short to be stuck in a job that makes you miserable. We all have to pay our dues and work our way up the ladder.... but at the same time, it's not healthy to be stuck somewhere you don't want to be. Best of luck with the job hunt!

    As for having a baby, you definitely want to be in a position where you'll get mat leave benefits. Babies are a HUGE financial expense, and it only gets worse as they get older. (See my blog post from Sept 21, 2010.

    I do get mat leave benefits, and we're still struggling. So, sadly, I will have no choice but to go back to work when the year is up since we definitely need that second income. :(

    ReplyDelete